Getting Inside Physicians' Heads - Merck Case Study
- Our client was the #2 brand in $6 billion pharma category.
- Previous research failed to identify reasons for limited support among low prescribers.
- Low prescribers felt the top two drugs were interchangeable and were not even aware of their own low prescribing of our client’s brand.
What We Did:
- Used our Context Storytelling research technique to reconstruct the memory context of the prescribing decision (Context Storytelling is adapted from the Cognitive Interview, a methodology used to improve the completeness and accuracy of eyewitness memory recall).
- Determined that superiority efficacy claims made years ago by the market leader continued to drive habituated prescribing behavior with severe patients, without the doctor’s awareness.
- Also found that “side indications” (secondary uses of the medication) influenced prescribing behavior, despite doctor insistence that they did not.
- Client launched a campaign to strengthen efficacy perceptions and market side indications.
- Gained half share point ($30 million topline growth) in six months, leading to highest share in brand history. About a 35,000% ROI on the research!